1. Holding: Department of History in Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Asia Institute in University of California, Los Angeles
2. Time: July 16 to July 23, 2017
3. Location: Minhang, Shanghai, China
The International workshop on Chinese History has been held for 4 consecutive years, the subject in 2017 will be Local Governance and Civil Finance in the 20th century China. Local archives from Jiangjin County in Chongqing City from 1910 will be studied and discussed in the workshop.
The Department of History was set up in 2003 and now has 22 faculties. Archives collection, major national strategy and cross-discipline are its core development patterns. The department develops in 5 research areas includes local archives, the Tokyo War-crime trials, environment history and history of diseases and modern Chinese history. There is also a history GIS team working on a HGIS project.
This workshop is willing to develop more international academic connection on modern China study. Also, it is willing to train and develop critical thoughts and new methodology on the research of new local archives and private materials from China.
R. Bin Wong, Distinguished professor and the director of Asia Institute, UCLA
Jacob Eyferth, Associate Professor in the History Department and the Director of the Department of East Asia Language and Civilization, University of Chicago
Maura Dykstra, Assistant Professor, Division of Social Science and Humanities, Caltech University
(1) Lectures on methodology (1day).
(2) Original Archive discussion (5 days)
(3) Seminars on research topics (2 days)
March 6， Call for Application
April 16，Deadline for application
May 1, Announcement for the results of admission
July 16, registration
July 17 – 22. Lectures and seminars
July 23, End of workshop
9. Recruitment Criteria
(1) Graduate students and junior scholars on modern and contemporary China study from oversea Universities and research institutes. (18 people)
(2) Graduate students and senior undergraduate students on modern and contemporary China study from Universities and research institute in mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan. (12 people)
People from China main land: travel and hotel fee could be partially covered under application.
Other people: hotel fee could be partially covered under application.
11. To apply
Applicants should submit an academic paper or research proposal (10 pages) and a personal statement of their research interests and how this workshop would fit into their training, and also a statement of one’s Chinese language background and reading level. Recommendation letters (at least one) from the student’s supervisor are also required. The expected dealine for submitting application material is April 16, 2017.
(1) Applications in institutions outside of China: Applicants enrolled in or affiliated with institutions outside of mainland China, Taiwan, Hong Kong or Macau must apply via the Asia Institute in UCLA. Application materials should be submitted online (http://web.international.ucla.edu/asia).
(2) Applicants in the People's Republic of China: Applicants enrolled in or affiliated with institutions in the People’s Republic of China, Hong Kong, Macau, or Taiwan should submit their applications to Dr. Zhao Siyuan (赵思渊) at SJTUhistory@126.com.
Shuji CAO, email@example.com (Department Head)
Siyuan ZHAO, firstname.lastname@example.org
Min LOU, email@example.com